Monday, January 28, 2013

Fear: Origins


Fear is something that I find quite intriguing, and although I am no academic expert on the subject, I thought I would dabble in it for a couple of posts.


I first want to ask the question: where does fear come from?  What is its origin?  When do we first see fear in the Bible?  If we look early on at the life of Adam and Eve in the garden we see that they demonstrated fear by hiding from God after they had eaten the forbidden fruit (Genesis 3:10).  They had just sinned.  Where did the sin come from?  Satan.  Satan breeds fear.  Fear leads to lies, deceit, manipulation, and eventually death.


Have you ever bought into a lie spun by Satan (through someone else or even you) that led to fear?  I have.  I have often times labeled myself as inadequate, unworthy, or not smart enough because of the lies that Satan has planted in me. Some of these have come from other people and some of these have come from "the evil one".  So, how do we escape these lies?  How do we identify them as lies and look to truth?  What is the truth?  Well, I'm glad you asked!  Here is a passage of scripture that I love.  This has helped me stay focused on strength, truth, and power!

2 Timothy 1:3-12 says:

I thank God, whom I serve, as my ancestors did, with a clear conscience, as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers.  Recalling your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy.  I am reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also.  For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of hands.  For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.  So do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner.  Rather, join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God. He has saved us and called us to a holy life - not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace.  This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.  And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher.  That is why I am suffering as I am.  Yet this is no cause for shame, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until that day.

I especially love verse 7 here (bold, italicized).  We are empowered by the Spirit of God to fight fear!  We are not made to be timid!  The context of this passage is regarding the spreading of the Good News.  Paul is encouraging Timothy in his spiritual walk and is trying to help him look past the pressures of the world.  Satan is of the world, therefore, that is where we find lies.  You will not find that truth originates in the world.  Truth only comes from above.  So, in order to identify what is truth and what is lie we must ask ourselves where it is that our doubts, fears, and uncertainties come from.  You can look at this passage of scripture taken from 2 Timothy and ask yourself "what are some pressures (lies) that I take on that shake my faith?"  Identify the lies.  Look for and identify the truth that is exposed by the Spirit.  Praise God!

Fear does have a good side.  It aligns itself with respect.  The way a child should respect the love and authority of a parent.  We are called to fear the Lord!  I will address this concept in the next post.