Monday, February 4, 2013

Straight From My Journal: I want to be like Jesus

I am on a journey.  I pray.  I worship.  I think.  I thank.  I pray again.

I trust that the Lord knows "just what I need."  My heart is longing for a closer relationship, a more intimate relationship with the Creator.  As I study the Word and meditate and pray I am more and more convicted to live a life of sacrifice and discipleship.  What does that look like though?  How am I currently being sacrificial?  I'm not sure I am.  How am I making disciples of Jesus?  Right now... today... I'm not.  Where do I start?  I think I start by first reevaluating what it means to be like Jesus.  I have asked and answered this question before, but not really for myself - for my journey.  If I want to be like Jesus I need to love God, love my neighbor, and forgive my enemies.  I think if I focus on these things in my life everything else that really matters will fall into place.  Maybe that is too simplistic, but frankly, I like simplicity and I think I need more of it.

"Father, help me to be like your Son.  Help me to love you more, to love my neighbor and to demonstrate forgiveness in genuine and authentic ways.  Help me to walk with humility and integrity.  Help me to be thoughtful and wise.  Help me to listen.  Help me to be calm.  Help me to be your ambassador of love and mercy.  In Christ I pray.  Amen."